Society for Research in Child Development (SCRD) 2019 BWG Preconference: Taking on the Challenge: Re-evaluating the Word Gap and Examining Promising Interventions for Promoting Young Children’s Language
Session 1: Evidence for the Word Gap and its Consequences
Annemarie H. Hindman, Barbara A. Wasik, and Carol Scheffner Hammer
Lynne Vernon-Feagans, Mary Bratsch-Hines, and Elizabeth Reynolds
Neural correlates of the “word gap”: Children’s language experience is associated with brain structure and function
Virginia A. Marchman, Janet Bang, Monica Munevar, and Anne Fernald
Language Experience in the Second Year of Life and Language Outcomes in Late Childhood Jill Gilkerson, Jeff rey A. Richards, Steven F. Warren, Kimbrough Oller, Rosemary Russo, & Betty Vohr
Natasha Cabrera, Tina Chen, and Jennifer Acosta
Lillian R. Masek, Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, and Roberta Michnick Golinkoff
Margaret Friend, Allyson Masters, Anele Villanueva, Diane Poulin-Dubois, and Pascal Zesiger
Amber Muhinyi and Meredith L. Rowe
Session 2: Bridging the Word Gap: What Works for Home Visiting, Child Care, Early Education Settings, Pediatric/Public Health and Community-Wide Interventions
Enhancing school readiness in Brazil through a reading aloud intervention
Adriana Weisleder, Luciane R Piccolo, Denise SR Mazzuchelli, Walfrido Duarte Neto, Aline Sá Lopez, Carolyn Cates, João Batista Araujo e Oliveira, and Alan L. Mendelsohn
Manuel E. Jimenez, Shawna Hudson, Julissa Veras, Patricia Shelton, Alan Mendelsohn, Tom Mackie, James Guevara, and Benjamin Crabtree
Early Learning and Child Care Programs as a Platform for Intervention to Address the Word Gap
Dale Walker, Gabriela Guerrero, and Shannon H. Guss
Anna Miller-Fitzwater, Kathleen Cranley Gallagher, Mariana Glusman, Christopher McLouth, and Katherine Poehling
Howard Goldstein, Elizabeth Kelley, Keri Madsen, Lindsey Peters-Sanders, Yagmur Seven, Xigrid Soto, and Wendy Olsen
Heather Knauer, Pamela Jakiela, Owen Ozier, Frances Adoud, and Lia CH Fernald
Elizabeth B. Miller, Caitlin F. Canfield, Anne M. Gill, Alan L. Mendelsohn, Pamela A. Morris, and Daniel S. Shaw
Evaluating LENA Start™: Effects on Parent and Child Language from a Standardized Parent Education Program
Marianne Elmquist, Lizbeth Finestack, Amanda Kriese, Erin Lease, and Scott McConnell
Use of naturalistic strategies to increase rates of deictic gesture use in toddlers from high poverty backgrounds
Naja Ferjan Ramirez, Sarah Roseberry Lytle, Ruofan Cai, and Patricia Kuhl
Tatiana N. Peredo, Kelsey Dillehay, and Ann P. Kaiser
Long-term Learning of Words Taught Using Book Reading, Games and Music
David K. Dickinson, Molly F. Collins, Kaitlin Herbert, Jessica Lawson-Adams, Emily Hopkins, Rebecca Dore, Molly Scott, Jacob Schatz, Marcia Shirilla, Roberta Golinkoff, and Kathy Hirsh-Pasek
Enriching language environment of low-SES households: A randomized controlled trial of a home visiting curriculum
Alison Hundertmark, Christy Y.Y. Leung, Marc W. Hernandez, Kristin R. Leffel, and Dana L. Suskind
Kathryn M. Bigelow, Dale Walker, Fan Jia, and Dwight Irvin
Barbara A. Wasik; Annemarie H. Hindman
Conference on Research Innovations in Early Intervention (CRIEI) 2018
Walker, Sepulveda, Schwartz, Hoff, Rowe, Dale, Peterson, Diamond, Bigelow, Levine, Goldin-Meadow, & Wasik. A systematic review of interventions promoting children’s language implemented in child care and early intervention
Society for Research in Child Development (SCRD) 2017
National Research Conference on Early Childhood (NRCEC) 2016
Drs. Judy Carta, Meredith Rowe, and Cathie Tamis-LeMonda presented at the NRCEC in July, 2016. See the presentations below
- Variability in Early Language Development: Predictors, Consequences, and Considerations for Intervention (Rowe)
- The Cultural Context of Infant Communication (Tamis-LeMonda)
- Effective Promotion of Language Development for Infants and Toddlers and Their Families: Discussant Comments (Carta)
Conference on Research Innovations in Early Intervention (CRIEI) 2016
The Bridging the Word Gap Emerging Research Scholars and Mentors gathered for a preconference symposium at the Biannual Conference on Research Innovation in Early Intervention. Here are the posters presented by Emerging Research Scholars and members of the BWG Executive Committee at CRIEI:
- Cycyk & Hammer – Studying the Home Language Experiences of Mexican Toddlers A Mixed Methods Approach
- Rahn – Examining teacher perceptions and use of embedded learning opportunities in inclusive preschool classrooms
LENA Conference Opening Session 2015 – Bridging Research to Community and Community to Research
Several BWG Practice-based Research Collaborative projects were highlighted during the LENA Conference. See the links below for posters presented during the opening session:
- Talk Time. Talk!” A Multi-tiered Language Development Intervention for Families of Toddlers and Preschoolers
SRCD Preconference 2015 – Poverty-Related Disparities in Children’s Early Language Experiences and Language Development: Prevention, Intervention and Policy
Several BWG Network Members attended a preconference poster symposium at SRCD related to the word gap. Lively discussion was had around three themes, including: Early Language Development, Home Learning Environment, and Intervention and Prevention.
Check out some of the posters that were presented here:
- The Early Experiences of Latino Children: A Positive Look – Cabrera et al.
- The Additional Effect of Dual Language Exposure on Disparities in Early Language Experiences and Language Development – Hoff et al.
- Parent-Implemented Intervention for Toddlers with Receptive and Expressive Language Delays: The Impact of Family Income on Child Outcomes – Kaiser et al.
- Promotion of Parenting and School Readiness Using Pediatric Primary Care as an Innovative Platform – Mendelsohn et al.
- Input Quality Trumps Quantity Again: Low-income Fathers’ Wh-questions and Toddlers’ Vocabulary and Verbal Reasoning – Rowe et al.
- Mother and Father Language Input in Low Wealth Rural Families: Predictors of Children’s Vocabulary and Achievement – Vernon-Feagans et al.
- A Model for the Sustainable Implementation of a Naturalistic Communication Intervention – Walker et al.
Check back for more presentations and publications by Network Members!